Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Chemo Today

Hi Everyone - Everything went fine today. Same as last time - got there early for blood work, had an hour off for shopping and breakfast, quick meeting with the oncologist, then into the chemo room for three hours. The oncologist said my blood work came back perfect (at least I'm passing cancer physically, I'll have to work harder on my mental grade) and he gave me a prescription for some pain and sleeping pills for this time around. My parents stayed with me most of the time which was very nice. They made the time fly. There were more women this time and the men all looked like they had showered at least once in the last month. I was once again the only one under the age of 50 and this time was the only one without hair. Every time I looked up at least one of the others was staring at me - they would half smile and look away. I wondered what they were thinking. Afterwards we ran a couple of errands and had a late lunch / early dinner at The Olive Garden. I'm starting to feel it tonight but not too bad - I'll be in bed by 8 and back to work tomorrow. It was no problem walking back in there - I didn't sleep more than four hours last night and had lots of time to think about it and heck any day these days when I feel fine is a great day and I wasn't going to waste the day feeling sorry for myself or afraid of what's coming or anything else negative.
.
Small world story - one of the gentlemen in the treatment room I had met at my last treatment. I mentioned to Dad that he was from Michigan. As we were finishing up Dad asked him where he was from in Michigan. He said a small town called Grass Lake. Dad asked if the gentleman knew his parents. He said "Helen and Howdy"? Dad said "yeah, I'm their son." The gentlemen said "Helen is my second cousin". We had a little family reunion there in the treatment room. It made every one's day. He's on the three week schedule too so we will see him and his family again in a few weeks.

No comments: