Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Any Day Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies Show Up in The Mail Is A Great Day!


Today was Day 14 - Blood Work Day. I had an appointment at the local clinic today for my two weeks after chemo blood work. I told them when I made the appointment that I had a port they could use to draw the blood. She said that the nurses there were as trained as any nurses and that it should not be a problem. But surprise surprise no one there had ever used a port before. Good thing I brought along my power port guide and the access needle they gave me after the port implantation surgery. Using them they sure gave it a good try. I got all sorts of attention from the whole staff. Alas though, no matter how they poked the needle into the port no blood would come out. I'm really hoping they were doing something wrong and that there is not a kink in the tube. That would stink. So, in the end we drew the blood the old fashion way - a vein in my hand. They are going to do some research on power ports for next time and we will try again. Call me paranoid but I'm starting to think that nothing is going to be easy for me in this process. Like I heard somewhere - I don't suffer from cancer, I suffer from cancer treatment. Anyway, I should hear tomorrow how the results came back - hopefully my body has been making white blood cells faster than the chemo has been killing them. It kind of feels like my first test to see if I'm passing cancer or not!
.
The day ended with dinner at the El Tovar while watching the sun set on the canyon. I keep trying to convince myself that my life is on hold for the next few months but life keeps finding a way of happening and dragging me along with it.

No comments: