Sunday, August 24, 2008

No Interesting News


My little sister and her husband made it here just fine on Saturday night. We drove down to Sedona, explored, and bought fudge today. We also picked up the last of my meds for chemo this week. Seems like everyone has a different theory on what works for them with chemo. I'm trying to eat better - give or take a little fudge - and starting tomorrow I'm going to drink lots and lots of water. I keep reading that it helps flush out the poisons faster. I'm getting pretty nervous but once I get going and see it's not as bad as I imagine everything will be better. Still not embracing the port - the bruise ended up starting on the top of my shoulder and ending about half way down to my stomach. I can see why the surgeon wasn't happy when I started twisting around in surgery trying to see what was going on. I bet he totally knocks me out next time. With a baseball bat as my middle sister said! Anyway, I'm still sore from getting the port and sometimes it feels like I have a big rubber band around my neck which makes it hard to take a deep breath and makes me claustrophobic of all things. I was on the verge of a panic attack earlier this week and I was close to just walking back into the hospital and have it taken out. But now each day seems to get better and I'm sure once chemo starts on Tuesday I will be very glad to have it. It is really irritating when I drive though because the port is right under the seat belt. OK OK - I'll quit griping about the port - you have to admit though that it is kind of gross to have an implant sticking out of your collarbone and being able to feel the tube going up the vein makes me cringe even thinking about it. I really want it out but the thought of having it pulled out while being awake - ugh ................OK - back to ignoring it!

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

Hey friend, I know what you mean about the port. The soreness will go away, I promise. When it gets sore going up the collarbone try putting heat on it. Ask the IV Therapy people for some little hot packs and you can keep a few in your bag. They are small and you can tuck one in your bra strap when you are sore. Ho
pe that helps!! Hang in there! Love You, Shelli