Sunday, October 5, 2008

I Had A Nice Day

I actually got out and did some hiking today. Not a lot - less than two miles - but a pretty big accomplishment for me these days. I am going to be sore tomorrow but it will be a good sore, one that I earned.
.
Tomorrow I get ready for chemo round three. I'll start drinking lots and lots of water and will start taking the anti-swelling pills in the evening. I will probably have to work a long day again but being busy will be better then having time to worry if I'll lose to chemo yet again by a TKO.
.
BTW - I know that I really over simplified the choices made by cancer patients with yesterday's blog. I want to make sure everyone realizes that I am by no means an expert on anything really and can only document what's going on with me and can just speculate on what is going on with others who find themselves in this predicament. I didn't even get into the choices that have to be made about the types of chemo drugs that can be taken, the choices made on which medical bills get paid this month and which don't, the choice of what day of the week to have treatment, the choice of which doctor to go to and when, the choice of who to tell and how to tell them that you have breast cancer, the choice of how to respond to a stranger staring at you, etc, etc, etc. It has been frustrating to me to have to make these choices while not being able to think clearly. Cancer seems to give you all sorts of choices while taking so many away.
.
But that's neither here nor there tonight - I feel great from finally getting out and exploring, and hiking, and being proud of myself, and having a great all around day. Boy did I need it and I feel ready to face whatever is coming this week.

1 comment:

jojo said...

Hope number 3 isn't too bad.

Re: your previous post on choices - I am a terrible decision maker! I found the anxiety of decision making and the unknown were almost worse than any test or treatment I encountered.

As for chosing to live fully vs. caving in - most days I choose to live like a champion. But towards the end of chemo, and after enduring a hopsital stay, I have to admit there were a few days I chose to curl up in a ball and not face the world. I hope you will be easy on yourself if you should finally have one of those days. It's okay to fall - as long as you get back up.