Monday, March 9, 2009

Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer 3 Day Walk




It's official - I've signed up to participate in the walk this next November here in Arizona. Just like it says - it lasts three days and we will be walking 20 miles each of those days for a total of 60 miles. Eight five percent of the proceeds go to Susan G. Komen for the Cure. According to the website every advancement in breast cancer research, treatment, education and prevention in the last 25 years has been touched by a Komen for the Cure grant. The remaining fifteen percent goes to the National Philanthropic Trust Breast Cancer Fund, which provides ongoing support to breast cancer initiatives, so that strides made today can continue to propel us toward the goal of a world without breast cancer. I've agreed to raise at least $2,300 in donations. I know I can raise even more than that, and have set my team's goal at $3,000 per person. Here's the hard part for me I hate asking for $ in today's economy but I would appreciate any help you can give. Would you please consider making a donation of any amount? Keep in mind how far I'm walking - and how hard I'll have to train. You can donate online at http://www.the3day.org/. Just click on Donate Now and search for my personal fundraising page. You can download a donation form and mail it to the address on the form. You can also call 800.996.3DAY to donate over the phone. So, far I have a team of three - we are Team Grand Canyon. If anyone wants to join us on our walk we would love to have you join our team. Just let me know and I'll help you get signed up.

According to Susan G. Komen for the Cure, more than 200,000 American women will be diagnosed with breast cancer this year, and nearly 40,000 will die from the disease. That’s why I’m walking so far. To do something bold about breast cancer. I hope that you'll share this incredible adventure with me by supporting me in my fundraising efforts.

During my breast cancer journey the Susan G. Komen organization was there for me every step of the way. The day I showed up for my first surgery consultation I was given a very informative breast cancer manual printed and paid for by them. They pay for a breast cancer support room at the cancer center. It is filled with all sorts of great helpful items they pay for and give out to patients at no cost. My personal favorite - they provided me with a weekly massage while I was in radiation. It was the most wonderful thing in such a trying time. Even last week I noticed a pink ribbon on the machine as I got my mammogram. Susan G. Komen had helped pay for the state of the art equipment. From personal experience I have seen what a great organization they are and I am proud to be able to participate in one of their big fund raiser events.











No comments: