Wednesday, January 5, 2011

2010 Arizona 3 Day Walk - Cheer Stations

By far one of the best parts of the 3 Day walk was the spectators. At almost any given time during the course there are people cheering, handing out goodies (Steph calls it Halloween for adults), holding up signs, dressing up, yelling "thank you for walking". There are two or so official cheer stations everyday with lots of people and pink. There are also all sorts of "walker stalkers" who are found several times a day all along the route. The people who live in the neighborhoods we walk through also come out, cheer, and decorate their lawns. Entire schools come out and line up to give us high fives. It is amazing to see the number of people are there to encourage us. And it is easy to get used to feeling like a rock star. Walking into work on Tuesday is kind of a let down - no one yelling "good job" and giving me otter pops. Here are some of my favorite pictures of our cheering spectators.

Team Grand Canyon with the sign my parents made.

I like this picture because one of the main reason I walk is for my friend Gladys who died way too young from breast cancer. Note the sign to the right - all along the route there are signs put up by the walk organization. One of my favorites reads - "Lunch One Mile"

Super heroes against breast cancer! That's me on the left.

We saw these two at almost all of the cheer stations.

Not just surviving...thriving!



Love, Love, Love This One!


Rock Stars Against Breast Cancer - it is the same group as the Super Heroes above. They changed outfits numerous times during the walk and we saw them many times each day.


Steph is Nacho Boobre.



We also saw this young man numerous times a day - he was always smiling just like this.


A couple of Judy's friends cheering the walkers along.

All sorts come out to cheer.

Look! It's my favorite cheerers!

These guys are great!

What it kind of looks like walking through a cheer section - without all of the noise.
If you are in the area next November, come out and join the fun!

1 comment:

Shazam7 said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the cheer stations and the walker stalkers and everyone who comes out to support the walkers. They almost always brought tears to my eyes. Many of the cheerers were breast cancer survivors themselves and I have never heard a more sincere "Thank you".